Cream Cheese and Caramel Strawberry Dip


If I had the nerve to mix up more batches of this thick, rich and decadent cream cheese and caramel dip, I might have discovered that it works just as well with fruit like grapes, melon balls or apple slices. Preferring a rather trim waistline however, all I can tell you about the combination of tangy cream cheese and sweet caramel is that it turned the season's first pickings of fresh juicy local strawberries — already a delight by themselves — into an astonishingly luscious and enormously guilty treat. But once a year is enough!


Better results will be obtained if you can find a more natural and creamier product than ordinary Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Those of us in Ontario are fortunate to find a smooth and delicious cream cheese from Western Creamery, without any added stabilizers or gums for an authentic cooking and eating experience.

Cream Cheese and Caramel Strawberry DipCream Cheese and Caramel Strawberry Dip
Recipe by
Published on August 1, 2009

Fresh strawberries coated with a rich cream cheese and caramel sauce

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz (250 g) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 teaspoons arrowroot flour or corn starch
  • 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed and dried
Instructions:
  • Whip the cream cheese in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the yogurt and vanilla, and set aside.

  • Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally and gently, for about 5 minutes or until the caramel drips slowly from the spoon. Do not overcook or let the sugar burn.

  • Immediately pour the caramel from the pan into the cream cheese mixture and blend. Mix in the arrowroot flour or corn starch thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve.

  • Serve in a bowl with fresh strawberries for dipping, or remove the tops from the strawberries and toss in the dip for serving in small dessert bowls.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Who would avoid..strawberries & cream...pics looks wonderful..

A_and_N said...

Wow! The strawberries looks so succulent! :D Though that's hardly a word that anyone'd use to describe the strawberries ;)

Yasmeen said...

Wish I could bite in to one of them right now :P

Pooja said...

That is an awesome combo Lisa! I have had strawberries dipped in flavoured whipped cream and I can imagine how delicious this one would have been!

Kalaivani said...

mmmm...can i have some :) looks so yummy and beautiful.

Johanna GGG said...

mmm-mmm I want to try this with apple - and am curious to get other cream cheeses - thanks for another great idea

Soma said...

Divine indeed! I can imagine the tart, sweet & creamy taste... the close your eyes & enjoy kind;-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I know that I would love this. What a great dessert. Real treat.

Suparna said...

hi Lisa,
These look heavenly.. pics look very tempting :)

test it comm said...

A cream cheese and caramel dip sounds so good!

Parita said...

strawberries and cream cheese is heavenly combination!

Anh said...

I normally see strawberries paired with chocolate. Now this is a neat idea with cream cheese. Yum!

Shri said...

They look divine!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow.....those are gorgeous treat....

Vidya said...

Mmm.... Can I have some, pretty please ?
:)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Yum Lisa! I am not as self controlled as you, I would have to have this more tha once a year! I am enjoying dipping strawberries into nutella just now. Mmmmmmm! Hey, it is healthier than a chocolate bar, well that is what I am telling myself anyway!

Muneeba said...

Oh man ... I know I'll like this better than chocolate covered strawberries .. deadly delicious stuff, this!

eatme_delicious said...

Wow Lisa sounds like you've created my perfect dip!! Though I definitely would have to make this for sharing otherwise I'd eat it all.

TBC said...

What a nice little sweet treat!