Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

pineapple upside down cake

Call me crazy, but I baked this pineapple upside-down cake on one of the hottest days of the year in honor of my Mom. She used to whip this up all the time for my family when I was young, but I could never understand why she would always used prepared mixes for her cakes when she was an almost unparalleled master of homemade pastry and almost any other baked delight. Call me a puritan, but I adapted this wonderful sweet treat to use my own cake recipe from scratch, and modernized it with a mix of fresh pineapple and cherries and spelt and quinoa flours. This "grown-up" pineapple upside-down cake also cuts down on some of the usual sweetness, and is still moist, flavorful, a little decadent, and just about as easy.

I think my Mom would be proud. Such a lovely woman — talented, hard working, loving and quirky too — she was my earliest inspiration in the kitchen. I miss my Mom each and every day. I don't know how she managed to battle cancer for so many years before she finally succumbed to that awful illness. She was well loved and touched so many of the people that were fortunate to know her.

If you are listening, Mom, here is just one more tribute to your memory. I love you.

pineapple cake

Pineapple Upside-Down CakePineapple Upside-Down Cake
Recipe by
Published on July 23, 2012

Easy, moist and "grown-up" pineapple upside-down cake with fresh fruit

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 fresh pineapple rings
  • 1/4 cup fresh cherries, sliced
  • 2/3 cup unbleached white or spelt flour
  • 2/3 cup quinoa flour (or unbleached white or spelt flour)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Instructions:
  • Lightly grease a 9-inch pan with butter or walnut oil and preheat an oven to 350°F.

  • In a small saucepan, combine the butter and sugar and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth out with a spoon or spatula. Arrange the pineapple rings and cherries over the sugar.

  • In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Make a well in the center of the dried ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together, beginning in the center and gently incorporating the dry mixture from the sides of the bowl. Spoon into pan and smooth with a spatula.

  • Bake in the center the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert onto a plate or platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 4 servings
pineapple cake upside down

More treats from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen you are sure to enjoy:
Apple Pie Tart
Ancient Roman Cheesecake
Chocolate Nut Butter No Bake Fudge
Peanut Butter Cups

6 comments:

basil said...

Delicious and sweet!

Chitra said...

Must be yummy..

Yogi Kitchen said...

a very touching post in an understated way. I hope it doesn't go against your tribute to your Mum, but I'm going to try and veganize this as we're going that way pretty much. I'll let you know how it goes.

Theresa says she remembers this from her childhood too. Over here, I guess the equivalent is apple-pie; or in my childhood seems to have been store-bought pavlova as I (in the beginning anyway) used to tell my Mum how much I liked it..

Lisa Turner said...

Yes, do let me know how a vegan version works out.

Johanna GGG said...

my mum used to make a similar cake too - we called it pudding - and I have been thinking of making it lately but still have to get the recipe from her -which shows just how lucky I am to still have my mum around to ask - but I am glad you can remember your mum with her recipes!

Unknown said...

I LOVE upside down cakes, and I like to try it w various fruits too.